Macedon Ranges Sustainability Group
Address:PO Box 849, Woodend VIC 3442
The Macedon Ranges Sustainability Group (MRSG) is a not-for-profit, member-based organisation focusing on projects, events, and practical activities that promote sustainable living in our local communities.
Our vision is to create and nurture environmental, social, and economic sustainability throughout the Macedon Ranges Shire. To do this we educate and assist our community to adopt lifestyle changes, and engage in projects and activities designed to:
- reduce our greenhouse gas emissions and our dependence on non-renewable sources of energy
- minimise our ecological footprint through more effective waste management and recycling
- secure a local food supply and promote sustainable agricultural practices
- enjoy a more secure and prosperous future
As a not-for-profit, member-based organisation our activities include:
- developing and promoting community-based renewable energy sources
- organising and supporting local action groups and sustainability initiatives
- promoting community awareness and action related to climate change and sustainability issues
- supporting sustainable locally-based businesses
- fostering links with other like-minded community groups
- lobbying all levels of government in areas related to sustainability
At the core of the MRSG are the many, diverse action groups which carry out its vision. The action groups are run by MRSG members with a shared interest in a particular area of sustainability such as renewable energy, bee keeping and local food exchange. These groups are volunteer-based and hold their own regular meetings and events. The role of the Committee is to support these action groups by providing the necessary governance, risk management, compliance, financial support including grant applications, and communications.