Moreland Energy Foundation
Moreland Energy Foundation Ltd (MEFL) is an independent not-for-profit organisation, dedicated to tackling climate change. MEFL works with households, businesses, community groups and governments on innovative ways to implement sustainable energy supply and reduce energy use.
MEFL were established in 2000 by the Moreland City Council after the privatisation of the Victorian electricity industry. The initial purpose of MEFL was to continue local action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from the entire Moreland community. Now MEFL leads the climate change and energy agenda in Moreland and beyond.
MEFL has been working with the community energy sector for the past four years, including;
- Providing support to community solar organisations in Victoria and assisting in the formation of the VCSA
- Providing feasibility and business case assessments for a wide range of community groups and local government authorities (e.g. Wodonga)
- Founding member of the Coalition for Community Energy (C4CE), current Steering Committee Member, and has contributed towards the National Strategy for Community Energy (2014?)
- Key member of the organising team for the 2014 & 2017 Community Energy Congress events
- Assisting in the development of the State Government’s Guide to Community-Owned Renewable Energy
- Playing a supporting role in assisting Moreland Community Solar and Moreland City Council to establish community energy projects within the municipality
- Led the Zero Net Energy Town project in Uralla
- Created the Darebin Solar Savers model